COVID-19 - Client Update 24/12/2020
The Queensland Government acted quickly to legislate its COVID-19 response for residential tenancies and Queensland is now in a strong position thanks to early actions taken to manage COVID-19 health risks.
Extending temporary regulatory measures to 30 April 2021 means Queensland remains ready to respond to COVID-19 risks as the transition back to normal residential tenancy arrangements continues.
What will remain in place until 30 April 2021
Protections that continue to apply until 30 April 2021, include:
- provisions allowing tenants experiencing domestic and family violence to end their tenancies quickly
- protections for tenants against being listed in a tenancy database for rent arrears caused by COVID-19 impacts
- limits on reletting costs for eligible tenants who end their fixed term tenancies early
- short term tenancy statement extensions for moveable dwellings
- entry restrictions and requirements to support COVID-19 social distancing measures
- relaxed repair and maintenance obligations.
Here is a link to the COVID-19 Emergency Response ACT 2020 : https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/html/inforce/2020-12-04/act-2020-013